Plant Hammond is a former four-unit, coal-fired generating facility located on 1,100 acres in Floyd County. The plant was named in honor of William Phin Hammond, a Georgia Power employee, who was responsible for the design and construction of all the company generating units for more than 40 years. Plant Hammond began commercial operations in 1954, and all four coal fired units were officially retired in July 2019.
The company prepares and submits an ash pond dewatering plan to Environmental Protection Division for its approval. This site-specific plan identifies the enhanced water treatment system, controls and monitoring that will be used during the process to ensure that the water discharged is protective of water quality standards.