Tropical Storm Idalia is expected to move into Georgia Wednesday, bringing the potential for heavy rains, gusty winds and isolated tornadoes across the southern and coastal parts of the state. Georgia Power is closely monitoring weather conditions and is ready to respond to any service interruptions safely and as quickly as possible. The company encourages customers to monitor their local weather conditions and keep safety a top priority as severe weather moves in and after the storm.
To help its customers prepare and to provide more information on restoration efforts, Georgia Power has developed a series of storm videos and tips for before, during and after a storm on its Outage and Storm Center site, www.GeorgiaPower.com/Storm. The site includes important preparedness and safety information such as the following:
- Before a Storm: Know your risks of flooding and tropical storm or hurricane strength winds. Check your emergency kit, unplug major appliances and charge cell phones in case you lose power. Follow any evacuation orders from local authorities.
- During a Storm: Have several ways to receive emergency notifications and weather updates. Take safe shelter inside a sturdy building away from windows and doors. Avoid contact with conductors of electricity - appliances, metal objects and water.
- After a Storm: Never touch any downed or low-hanging wire, including telephone or TV wires that touch a power line. Never pull tree limbs off power lines or enter areas with debris or downed trees as downed power lines may be buried in wreckage. Additionally, do not walk or drive through standing water or step onto saturated ground where downed lines may be present.
Before severe weather strikes, customers are encouraged to become familiar with Georgia Power's Outage Map within the Storm Center that makes tracking and reporting outage information easy. The Outage Map automatically adjusts to function on any desktop, handheld or mobile device and has direct access to Georgia Power's social media channels. Additionally, customers have greater search capabilities with concise alert information relating to their specific outage.
More Tools You Can Use:
- Outage & Storm Center: Available at www.GeorgiaPower.com/Storm, customers can visit this site to sign up for Outage Alerts, report and check the status of outages, and access useful safety tips and information. Customers can report and check the status of an outage 24 hours a day by contacting Georgia Power at 888-891-0938.
- Outage Alerts: Subscribe to the free Georgia Power Outage Alert service to receive personalized notifications and updates via text message.
- Social Media Updates: Follow the company's social media channels Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower, Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower and Instagram.com/ga_power for the latest information.