Keep areas around electrical equipment clear of combustibles such as sawdust, paper, cardboard and flammable liquids.
Prevent oil and dirt buildup on electrical appliances. This situation can cause electrical equipment to overheat and short-circuit. When buildup does occur, shut off electrical equipment and unplug its power supply. Use only clean, dry rags and brushes and follow manufacturer's instructions.
Electrical fires are frequently caused by overloaded equipment and circuits. This can cause insulation to burn, create sparks and leave exposed wires. Don't overload electrical equipment by attempting to do heavier jobs than the equipment can handle.
Shut off all electrical equipment that produces odd sounds, odd smells or sparks. Have it checked by a qualified technician. Tag and remove hard-wired equipment from service so that it cannot be accidentally energized while it is being repaired or replaced.
Know locations of emergency exits and fire escapes and know the escape routes from your work area. Fire escape plans should be posted and exits clearly marked.
Know where the nearest fire extinguishers are and how to use them. Only Class C extinguishers are safe to use on energized electrical equipment.
Call Before You Dig or Work
Before beginning any excavation in the vicinity of underground electrical lines or working in the vicinity of an overhead high-voltage electrical line, call 811 to request an underground locator service or overhead safeguards. For more information, visit Call811.com.
PowerTOWN is a free electrical safety program offered by Georgia Power for students, youth groups, adult groups and other organizations.
Electrical accidents are the third leading cause of death in the workplace. At Georgia Power, zero accidents is our goal. Learn More
Back to Top ↑