Skip to main content.

Plant Specific Data

CCR Rule Compliance, Groundwater Monitoring, Dewatering and Ash Pond Closures

Each of our active Georgia Power plants represents a major commitment to ensure an adequate supply of electricity is available to the southeast for now and years to come.


Plant Arkwright

Plant Arkwright

Plant Arkwright began commercial operation in 1941 in Bibb County, Georgia and was retired in 2002. Prior to retirement, the four units were capable of producing a combined capacity of 160 MW of electricity.


Plant Bowen

Plant Bowen began commercial operation in 1975 in Bartow County, Georgia. The four coal-fired units are capable of producing 3,376 MW of electricity. In addition, the plant is home to the Water Research Center, the nation’s first research facility dedicated to finding new ways to reduce, conserve, and improve the quality of water used by power plants to generate electricity as well as home to the Ash Beneficial Use Center.


Plant Branch

Plant Branch began commercial operation in 1965 in Putnam County, Georgia and was retired in 2015. Prior to retirement, the plant had four coal-fired units capable of producing 1,540 MW of electricity.


Plant Hammond

Plant Hammond began commercial operation in 1954 in Floyd County, Georgia and was retired in 2019. Prior to retirement, the plant had four coal-fired units capable of producing 800 MW of electricity.


Plant Kraft

Plant Kraft

Plant Kraft began commercial operation in 1958 in Chatham County, Georgia and was retired in 2015. Georgia Power will donate the property from the retired Plant Kraft facility to the Georgia Port Authority (GPA) in 2021. The location is expected to help the GPA continue to provide its customers the most efficient and productive port facilities in the nation, creating jobs and business opportunities to benefit more than 10 million Georgians.


Plant McDonough

Plant McDonough-Atkinson began commercial operation in 1941 in Cobb County, Georgia and retired its coal-fired units in 2011 and 2012. Three natural gas combined cycle units, capable of producing 2,520 MW of electricity, then began commercial operation in 2012.


Plant McIntosh

Plant McIntosh began commercial operation in 1979 in Effingham County, Georgia and was retired in 2019. Prior to retirement, the coal-fired unit was capable of producing 160 MW of electricity. There are two natural gas combined cycle units and eight simple cycle combustion turbines remaining onsite.


Plant McManus

Plant McManus began commercial operation in the 1950s in Glynn County, Georgia and the two steam units were retired in 2015. The remaining nine oil-fired combustion turbines are capable of producing 480 MW of electricity.


Plant Mitchell

Plant Mitchell began commercial operation in 1948 in Dougherty County and Mitchell County, Georgia and was retired in 2016. Prior to retirement, the plant had one coal-fired unit and simple cycle combustion turbines capable of producing 240 MW of electricity.


Plant Scherer

Plant Scherer began commercial operation in 1982 in Monroe County, Georgia. The four coal-fired units are capable of producing nearly 3,720 MW of electricity.


Plant Wansley

Plant Wansley began commercial operation in 1976 in Heard County and Carroll County, Georgia. The two coal-fired units are capable of producing 1,840 MW of electricity.


Plant Yates

Plant Yates began commercial operation in 1950 in Coweta County, Georgia, and five of the seven coal-fired units were retired in 2015. The two remaining units, capable of producing 700 MW of electricity, were converted to natural gas.