Beware of Fraud
Georgia Power is committed to the safety and security of our customers. Use this page as a guide to learn more about the precautionary measures we take at Georgia Power plus what you can do if you suspect fraud.
Don't Be Scammed!
There have been recent incidents where both residential and local business customers have been approached by scammers pretending to be Georgia Power employees. The scammers call customers and advise them that they have a short deadline to make a payment. The scammer then asks the customers to go to a local retailer (such as Walmart, CVS or Walgreens) and purchase a money pack for the given amount, and then call another number to share the account number on that prepaid card.
Protect Yourself from Scammers: Remember These Tips:
- We will NEVER come to your door and demand an immediate payment
- We will NEVER call and ask you for your bank information or a credit card number.
- If a Georgia Power employee has a service-related reason to come to your door, he/she will ALWAYS wear a Georgia Power employee ID badge. The only reason an employee would need to enter your home is for a scheduled Energy Audit.
- If you suspect someone at your door is impersonating a Georgia Power or government employee, DO NOT let him/her into your home! Call your local police department and then call us at 1.888.660.5890.
- Scammers may claim to work for a public agency or government office offering ways to pay your Georgia Power bill. NEVER give anyone your credit card information, your Georgia Power account information including a copy of your electric bill or account number or any other personal banking information. Call your local police department and then call us at 1.888.660.5890.
- If you have any doubt about the legitimacy of a situation, please call Georgia Power at 1.888.660.5890 to verify.
If you ever have any questions about a possible scam or your Georgia Power account, call us at 1.888.660.5890 Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Safety & Security
How Georgia Power Works to Protect You
At Georgia Power, the safety and security of our customers and our customers’ personal and financial information are our highest priorities.
Protecting Your Information
Georgia Power protects and secures your personal and financial information using industry standard safeguards like firewalls and secure socket layers (SSL) to encrypt and protect sensitive transmissions. Although no security system is fail safe, we strive to protect your information from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction.
If you have reason for concern or suspect a problem, please call Georgia Power immediately to verify ID at 1-888-660-5890.
Report Fraud Here
If you suspect that someone is at your home or business impersonating a Georgia Power employee:
- Call your local police immediately.
- Call Georgia Power at 1-888-660-5890.
- DO NOT let the individual inside your home or business.
- DO NOT go outside with the individual.
- DO NOT provide the individual with your account number or any personal or financial information.
If you suspect that someone has already visited you to obtain personal or financial information, please contact us immediately at 1-888-660-5890. Representatives are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Stay Informed: Remember These Three Things
1. Georgia Power will never send an employee to your home or business to collect payment.
2. Our employees will never call or visit you and request your personal or financial information.
3. If an employee has a service-related reason to visit, he or she will ALWAYS:
- Wear a Georgia Power uniform
- Arrive in a Georgia Power vehicle with our logo
- Present a photo ID with the Georgia Power logo