Solar energy is a renewable and emissions-free energy source that can be an excellent option for some homes and businesses. With an average break-even period for residential installations between 12 and 15 years (this varies for commercial locations), solar should be considered a long-term investment in sustainability. While Georgia Power does not recommend or endorse any particular third-party installer, we are happy to help you understand all aspects of your potential solar project. Before beginning any solar installation, we recommend obtaining at least three proposals from installers, as pricing and financing may differ for each company.
While solar is a great emissions-free energy source, it is not a one-size-fits-all solution. Find out if solar panel installation is a good energy option for your home or business.
Use our residential Solar Advisor Tool to explore considerations and estimated costs for a solar panel installation on your home. Get real life figures to help you determine the best solar program for you and your goals.
• If your roof needs to be repaired or replaced, this should be done before solar is installed.
• Ensure your rooftop receives adequate sunlight throughout the day.
• South-facing panels will receive the most sun.
• Residential customers may experience a 30-50% reduction in their power bill. This will vary for commercial installations.
• You may still have to pay a monthly fee for your system if it was financed.
• You will still receive a bill from Georgia Power and your financing company if the system was financed.
There are a few options for landowners and the solar programs currently available.
- You may want to contact a certified installer to gauge their interest.
- The solar installer would choose the program best suited for them.
Market pricing for panels and installation is about $1.20-3.50/Watt. Typically, 5-7 acres fits about 1 MW of solar panels. This assumes 1 MW could cost between $1,200,000-$3,500,000. A larger installation size typically reflects a lower price/watt.
Landowners looking to sell 100% of their generation to Georgia Power would be most interested in our Customer-Connect Solar or Qualifying Facility programs.
Click here for additional information about leasing your land.
In addition to the federal tax credit for installing solar, you may be able to take advantage of other rebates and incentives for renewables and energy efficiency.Learn More
Feel free to contact us with any general questions you may have in regards to the launch of our new solar programs