Community Milestone

The employees of Georgia Power have a long-standing history of supporting and giving back to the communities we serve.

1962

Women of Georgia Power, the company’s first Citizens volunteer organization, was founded.

1984

Georgia Power Ambassadors was founded to promote a means of community between retirees and the company. 

1991

Electric Kids, Inc., a charity to help children of deceased or disabled employees was founded. 

2012

Citizens of Georgia Power celebrated their fiftieth anniversary. 

2018

To date, the Georgia Power Foundation has contributed over $170 million to qualifying non-profits across the state. It ranks as the fourth-largest corporate foundation in Georgia in terms of giving.  

1927

“Citizens Wherever We Serve,” was coined by Georgia Power’s first president, Preston Arkwright. 

1967

Educational Loan Fund, Inc., was founded to provide tuition loans for the college-aged sons and daughters of Citizens of Georgia Power members. 

1986

The Georgia Power Foundation was created to provide grants to organizations that are enriching the communities we serve. 

1994

Women of Georgia Power’s name was officially changed to Citizens of Georgia Power, inviting all employees and their spouses to join the volunteer organization. 

2016

Georgia Power introduced the Preston Arkwright Award to recognize a top volunteer that lives out the company’s standard of being, “A Citizen Wherever We Serve.”