Skip to main content.

Generator Safety

The proper handling of portable generators ensures your safety. In a power outage, a portable generator may be needed. But be careful - if not used properly, generators can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock, or fire.

small yellow generator

Tips For Using a Generator During an Outage

If you run a portable generator in a power outage, follow these safety guidelines:

  • NEVER use a generator in an enclosed or partially enclosed space. 
  • Generators produce high levels of carbon monoxide quickly. You cannot smell or see carbon monoxide. It can be deadly.
  • If you feel sick, dizzy, or weak while using a generator, find fresh air right away. If you feel seriously ill, seek immediate medical attention. Inform medical staff you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. If you became ill indoors, let the fire department determine when it is safe to re-enter the building.


Stay Safe When Working

Follow these tips when working with or around generators:

  • Turn off electrical devices before you connect to a generator or generator-powered circuit.
    Once generator is on, switch connected devices on one by one. Shut them down again before you switch back to Georgia Power service.
  • Carefully follow the manufacturer's technical information.
    Be sure your generator is rated for 240-volt loads, as well as 120-volt, if you hook up larger appliances like ranges, well pumps or dryers.
  • Inspect and maintain your generator.
    Keep fresh gas in the tank. Run the generator periodically so it's ready when you need it.

Report an Outage

Reporting power and streetlight outages is easy with our online reporting system. Enroll in outage alerts, learn about weather events in your area, and check the status of your outage.

Enroll Now