A lightning strike or power surge can occur at any time without warning.
SurgeDefender from Georgia Power
To enroll by phone, call
Georgia Lightning Facts
- In 2015 and 2016, Georgia ranked first in lightning-related insurance damage claims.
- Georgia is the eighth-highest state in terms of density of lightning strikes per square mile.
- The lightning strikes from thunderstorms in June, July and August account for over 75 percent of property damage annually.
- Lightning can (and usually does) strike in the same place.
- Even if it’s not raining, lightning can still strike.
- Temperatures in the path of a lightning bolt can reach 50,000 degrees. That’s 5 times hotter than the surface of the sun!